Image

Image

10.6.13

Summer Heat

It's warm and perhaps the one difficult thing with anyone who is cultivating a particular sense of style is adjusting to the unbearable summer heat. It is not satisfying to put on a pair of short and a top and hop out the door. Oh no. Should these shorts and top match the aforementioned particular fashion style, then it must also follow a similar trend in shoes, accessories, and even makeup. However, since I prefer not to prattle on about senseless matters, this is not a post about summer weather and the plight of accessorizing clothes in the midst of an outside inferno. This is about fashion in the summer.

It goes without saying but fashion is different all around the globe. Summer fashion differs between Los Angeles and Seoul. Likewise, the fashion is different between Europe and North America. Since I am spending my summer abroad in Europe, I have used my perception and observation skills to its best use: detecting trends in Europe. Given, this is something I would have done naturally, but I deliberately want to perceive cultural differences. After all, it is these striking differences that distinguish one culture from another and another why bloggers and fashionistas lust after designers in Europe and elsewhere. 

One of my favorite thing about European fashion is its simplicity. They are very fuss-free. There are two ends of the spectrum: simple, minimalist, and classique, whereas the other end is the opulent prints, mixing fabrics, daring trends, and lavish details all done tastefully. They are all about doing things well, even in clothes and style. I have seen so many people wear trench coats hitting right above the knee, especially with the weather being rather chilly when I first arrived. Yet, what I've noticed is that the style is vastly different (at least to me) between one country to the next.

In Germany, the style is very classic and fitted. Men and women wear fitted leather jackets, fitted jeans or trousers, a simple sweater underneath, sneakers, flats, flat ankle boots, or a pair of heels, with sunglasses and a bag, usually a satchel or a leather tote. Again, this is what I perceived from the clothing in sale in Munich airport, the men and women who strolled in the airport, and the people in the town we stayed at. They are very much about comfort and style while still appearing very chic. They are lean, stylish, and very unpretentious in their style. I really enjoy gauging German street style because of the simple coolness they emulate. Given, that is not everyone as a whole, but this is the look they give off from the people that I've noticed and they get high marks with me. In Vienna, Austria, it was a similar yet dissimilar story. It is evident that is a city that has a vibrant culture scene. It is also evident that it has a tourist and historic center, since many men and women who strolled downtown Vienna wore very simple and chic clothing. I would see women in a simple white blouse with meager detailing, skinny jeans or black fitted pants, and heels or classic flats a la Ferragamo with a trench coat and a messenger tote or some other professional bag, such as Louis Vuitton. There were so many women that I wish I could stop and ask to take their picture of their outfit. The more I thought about it, the more creepy it sounded, so I wager I would simply admire their outfit from afar and hope I would remember it later. The vibe I got while walking through Vienna is a very professional and trendy vibe, an interesting combination between businesslike professional and Vogue and Elle editorials. It was marvelous. So many women in muted pastels and neutrals with pops of vibrant colors and prints. (The men, on the other hand, are always so wonderfully dressed. They look as if they appear out of a brand advertisement. With perfectly coifed hair, nice shoes, fitted tailored pants and blazer and possibly a jacket as well, it was not difficult to admire mens fashion style in Vienna. I may elaborate on this in a different post in the near future, but it's not definite yet.) In Romania, the women are all about bright colors, fun prints, and modern simplicity. I would equate the style as a vintage-y hipster look, with maxi skirts, bralets, fun heels, and an American vibe. The women don't stick with one certain style; they mix it up when they head out in town, which is something I admire about Romanian street style. I will be walking down the same route in downtown Oradea two different days and I will see two different types of style. 

Before leaving back for North America, I hope that my style will emulate some of the picture I've compiled that captured the street style I've seen during my time in Europe (so far). 













No comments:

Post a Comment